Home » Best laptop docking stations for 2023 in Australia
Best laptop docking stations for 2023 in Australia
In this article we’ll recommend some of our best picks for laptop docking stations in 2023. This list ranges from cheaper, midrange and more expensive.
One benefit when choosing a docking station is for it to have the ability to assist your laptop into a portable powerhouse. You might want to work from multiple desks and have a docking station in each location, or you might just want one docking station. Either way, let us help you decide on the best laptop docking station.
The best laptop docks will allow you to turn your laptop into feeling like a desktop, which means you can attach your system to multiple monitors and a wide variety of peripherals with extra USB ports. Hey, who doesn’t want extra USB ports, right?
There’s a large range of lap top docking stations to choose from which can make things really confusing. You can find cheap laptop docking stations that will output to dual HD monitors over a standard USB. You can also find more expensive laptop docking stations that support USB Type-C and 4K monitors. The good thing about a higher end docking station is the fact that it’ll work with your current laptop and even your next laptop.
A laptop docking station typically serves as an expansion hub for laptops, providing additional ports and connectivity options to enhance the laptop’s functionality when connected. However, the docking station itself does not have graphics processing capabilities. It relies on the graphics capabilities of the laptop to display images and videos.
The graphics processing unit (GPU) in a laptop is responsible for rendering graphics and driving the display. If your laptop has onboard graphics, it means that the GPU is integrated into the laptop’s motherboard rather than being a separate, dedicated graphics card. Integrated graphics are generally less powerful than dedicated graphics cards but can handle basic graphics tasks.
When you connect your laptop to a docking station, the docking station extends the laptop’s connectivity options, such as providing additional USB ports, Ethernet ports, audio jacks, and so on. It may also have video output ports, such as HDMI or DisplayPort, which allow you to connect external monitors. However, the actual processing of graphics and display output is still handled by the laptop’s onboard graphics.
In some cases, docking stations may include additional ports for connecting external graphics cards or may have a built-in graphics card themselves. These types of docking stations are relatively rare and are typically used in specialized applications where high-performance graphics are required. They are not commonly found in standard laptop docking stations intended for general use.
To summarise, a laptop docking station does not have its own graphics processing capabilities. It relies on the laptop’s onboard graphics to handle graphics processing and display output.
What are the best laptop docking stations?
When you’ve got a larger budget and looking for the best laptop docking station money can buy, you’ll find that anything USB-C that has triple display dock will be great. You need to ensure your laptop will support the Triple Display Dock and of course the USB-C connection. The USB-C connection is a very common thing to have these days, however it hasn’t always be that way so make sure you choose carefully. Some of the expensive laptop docking stations will support 4k monitors and even 5k monitors.
OUR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE BEST LAPTOP DOCKS IN AUSTRALIA
Wavlink Universal USB-C/USB 3.0 Ultra 5K Laptop Docking Station with 4K Dual Video Outputs，Support for Specific Windows，XP and Mac OS(USB-C in,DP and HDMI,Gigabit Ethernet,Audio Out and Mic in,6 USB 3.0 Port)-Not support charging PC
USB C HUB, WAVLINK Triple Display USB C 13-in-1 Docking Station with 65W PD3.0 Charging, (2 HDMI, Display Port, Ethernet, MicroSD and TF Card Reader, 3.5mm Audio Jack and 4 USB 3.0 and 1 USB-C Ports)-Compatiable for MacBook and Windows
WAVLINK USB-C Ultra 5K/Dual 4K Aluminum Universal Docking Station, with 65W Power Delivery, Dual 4K@60Hz & Single 5K@60Hz, Displaylink Dock with 2xDisplay Port 1.2, 2xHDMI 2.0, 5xUSBPort,Multiple-Gigabit Ethernet,1 x Audio Jack-For Working Online
NOVOO USB C Docking Station Triple Monitor, 11 in 1 USB C to Dual HDMI Adapter VGA Gigabit Ethernet 100W PD 4USB Ports, USB C Hub Thunderbolt Dock Compatible for MacBook and Other USBC Laptops
The NOVOO USB C Docking Station is an 11-in-1 USB C hub that provides multiple connectivity options for USB-C laptops, such as MacBooks, and expands their capabilities. Here are the key features and benefits of the NOVOO USB C Docking Station:
- Triple monitor support: The docking station allows you to connect up to three monitors simultaneously. It features dual HDMI ports and a VGA port, enabling you to extend or mirror your laptop’s display across multiple screens. This is particularly useful for tasks that require multitasking or for enhancing productivity with an expanded workspace.
- Versatile connectivity: The NOVOO USB C Docking Station offers a wide range of connectivity options. It includes multiple USB ports, including four USB-A ports, allowing you to connect various USB peripherals such as external hard drives, keyboards, mice, and more. Additionally, it features an Ethernet port for a stable wired network connection and a USB-C port with 100W Power Delivery (PD) support to charge your laptop or other compatible devices.
- High-resolution output: With the dual HDMI and VGA ports, the docking station supports high-resolution video output. You can enjoy 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) resolution when connecting to compatible displays, providing sharp and detailed visuals for work or multimedia content.
- Gigabit Ethernet connectivity: The docking station includes a Gigabit Ethernet port, enabling you to establish a fast and reliable wired internet connection. This is beneficial for situations where a stable and high-speed network connection is required, such as gaming, video streaming, or large file transfers.
- Compatibility: The NOVOO USB C Docking Station is designed to be compatible with various USB-C laptops, including MacBooks, as well as other USB-C devices. It supports Thunderbolt 3 technology, ensuring compatibility with Thunderbolt 3-enabled laptops for enhanced functionality and data transfer speeds.
- Plug-and-play setup: The docking station is designed for easy setup and use. It is a plug-and-play device, meaning you can connect it to your USB-C laptop without the need for additional drivers or software installations. This allows for quick and hassle-free integration into your existing setup.
Overall, the NOVOO USB C Docking Station offers a comprehensive solution for expanding the connectivity options and capabilities of your USB-C laptop. With its triple monitor support, versatile connectivity, high-resolution output, and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, it provides a convenient and powerful hub for productivity, multimedia, and networking needs.
The HOPDAY USB Hub is a 4-port USB 3.2 hub that allows you to expand the number of USB ports on your computer or laptop. Here are some key features and benefits of the HOPDAY USB Hub:
- Extra USB ports: The hub provides four additional USB ports, allowing you to connect multiple USB devices simultaneously. This is especially useful if your computer or laptop has a limited number of built-in USB ports.
- USB 3.2 technology: The HOPDAY USB Hub supports USB 3.2 technology, which offers faster data transfer speeds compared to USB 2.0. With USB 3.2, you can enjoy high-speed data transfers and quicker access to your USB devices.
- Plug-and-play functionality: The HOPDAY USB Hub is designed to be plug-and-play, which means you can simply connect it to your computer’s USB port without the need for any additional software or drivers. This makes it easy to set up and use, without any complicated installation processes.
- Compact and portable: The HOPDAY USB Hub has a compact and lightweight design, making it highly portable. You can easily carry it with you while traveling or working on the go, allowing you to connect your USB devices wherever you need them.
- Wide device compatibility: The USB hub is compatible with various USB devices, including flash drives, external hard drives, keyboards, mice, printers, cameras, and more. It works with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, providing flexibility and compatibility with different peripherals.
- Overcurrent protection: The HOPDAY USB Hub incorporates overcurrent protection to safeguard your connected devices. This feature helps prevent damage to your devices in case of power surges or excessive current flow.
- LED indicator: The hub is equipped with LED indicators for each USB port, allowing you to easily monitor the status of each connection. The LEDs provide visual feedback, indicating when a device is connected and active.
Overall, the HOPDAY USB Hub is a convenient and reliable solution for expanding the number of USB ports on your computer or laptop. It offers fast data transfer speeds, wide compatibility, portability, and additional features such as overcurrent protection and LED indicators. It can be a useful accessory for those who require multiple USB connections and want to simplify their device connectivity.
What does a docking station do for a laptop?
Docking stations make you feel like your laptop is a desktop, which for some people is exactly what they want. Then you can have a mobile laptop, while feeling like you’re working on a desktop. Having a docking station lets you simply connect a single, or multiple, external displays. Even lets you connect external storage devices or GPUs, and other devices to your laptop.
A laptop docking station is a device that allows you to connect your laptop to multiple peripherals and devices, such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and other USB devices. The docking station typically connects to your laptop using a single cable, which simplifies the process of connecting and disconnecting your laptop from all the peripherals.
Docking stations are particularly useful for users who need to switch between different workstations frequently. Instead of unplugging and replugging all the cables each time you move your laptop, you can simply dock it and start using the peripherals right away.
Docking stations are available in various models and configurations, and their features and capabilities vary depending on the manufacturer and the intended use. Some docking stations support multiple monitors, while others focus on providing more ports and connectivity options. When choosing a docking station, you should consider the types of devices you want to connect, the number of monitors you need to use, and the compatibility with your laptop’s ports and connectors.
Why use a laptop docking station?
There are several reasons why you might want to use a laptop docking station:
- Increased connectivity: A docking station allows you to connect your laptop to multiple peripherals and devices, including additional monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers, printers, and other USB devices. This can significantly expand your productivity and enable you to use your laptop like a desktop computer.
- Streamlined setup: By connecting all your peripherals to the docking station, you can quickly and easily connect or disconnect your laptop to the dock, without the need to unplug and plug in multiple cables each time you move your laptop.
- Improved performance: Depending on the docking station, you can take advantage of better graphics performance, additional memory, and faster data transfer speeds, which can enhance your overall computing experience.
- Simplified cable management: With a docking station, you can eliminate clutter and messy cables on your desk, since all your peripherals are connected to the dock instead of your laptop.
- Better ergonomics: By using a docking station with a separate keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you can set up your workstation to promote better posture and reduce strain on your neck, back, and eyes.
Overall, a laptop docking station can provide a more efficient, productive, and comfortable computing experience for users who need to work with multiple devices and peripherals on a regular basis.
What Brands Have The Best Laptop Docking Stations?
The NOVOO Docking Station is a device that allows you to connect multiple peripherals to your computer or laptop using a single USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 port. It can provide you with additional ports and functionalities, including HDMI, Ethernet, USB-A, USB-C, and SD card reader.
With the NOVOO Docking Station, you can extend your desktop to a larger screen, transfer files faster, and connect to a wired network for faster internet speeds. It is a useful tool for those who use a laptop or a computer with limited connectivity options and need to connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
The NOVOO Docking Station is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems, and it is easy to set up and use. It is a cost-effective solution that can save you from purchasing multiple adapters and cables.
The WAVLINK Docking Station is a device that allows you to connect multiple peripherals to your computer or laptop using a single USB-C or USB 3.0 port. It can provide you with additional ports and functionalities, including HDMI, Ethernet, USB-A, USB-C, and audio jacks.
With the WAVLINK Docking Station, you can extend your desktop to a larger screen, transfer files faster, and connect to a wired network for faster internet speeds. It is a useful tool for those who use a laptop or a computer with limited connectivity options and need to connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
The WAVLINK Docking Station is compatible with Windows and Mac systems, and it is easy to set up and use. It is a cost-effective solution that can save you from purchasing multiple adapters and cables. The WAVLINK Docking Station also supports dual display setups, which can enhance your productivity and multitasking capabilities.
The Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station is a device that allows you to connect multiple peripherals to your laptop or desktop computer using a single USB 3.0 port. It provides a variety of ports, including HDMI, DVI, Ethernet, USB-A, USB-C, audio jacks, and a charging port for your devices.
With the Plugable Docking Station, you can extend your desktop to multiple displays, transfer files faster, and connect to a wired network for faster internet speeds. It is an ideal tool for those who use laptops or computers with limited connectivity options and need to connect to multiple devices simultaneously.
The Plugable Docking Station is compatible with Windows and Mac systems, and it is easy to set up and use. It supports up to two external displays with resolutions of up to 2560×1440, allowing you to multitask with ease. It also includes a gigabit Ethernet port, which provides a stable and reliable network connection.
Overall, the Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station is a cost-effective solution that can save you from purchasing multiple adapters and cables, while also enhancing your productivity and connectivity.
How To Connect laptop To A Docking Station?
Connecting a laptop docking station is generally not difficult, and it usually involves the following steps:
- Connect the docking station to a power source: Most docking stations require a power source to operate. You can usually do this by plugging in the power adapter that comes with the docking station.
- Connect the docking station to your laptop: Depending on the type of docking station, you may need to use a USB-C, Thunderbolt, or proprietary connector to connect your laptop to the dock. Make sure to check the user manual or the manufacturer’s website to determine the correct cable and port to use.
- Connect your peripherals to the docking station: Once the docking station is connected to your laptop, you can start connecting your peripherals to the dock. This may involve plugging in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or other USB devices.
- Install any necessary drivers or software: In some cases, you may need to install drivers or software to ensure that your peripherals work correctly with the docking station. The manufacturer should provide instructions and a download link for any necessary software.
Overall, connecting a laptop docking station is usually straightforward and can be done in just a few minutes. However, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and ensure that you’re using the correct cables and ports to avoid any compatibility issues or damage to your devices.
Ultimately, the best laptop docking station for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. Be sure to read reviews and do your research before making a purchase.
How Much Should I Pay For A Laptop Docking Station does a docking station?
The price of a laptop docking station can vary depending on various factors such as brand, features, connectivity options, and build quality. Generally, you can find docking stations with basic functionality starting around $50 to $100. These typically provide essential ports like USB, HDMI, and Ethernet.
If you require more advanced features or connectivity options, such as multiple video outputs, Thunderbolt 3 support, or additional USB-C ports, the price can range from $100 to $300 or more.
It’s important to consider your specific needs and the compatibility of the docking station with your laptop. Some docking stations are designed for specific laptop models or brands, while others are more universal. Compatibility and available ports should be factors to consider when determining the value of a docking station.
Additionally, it’s a good idea to read customer reviews and compare prices from different retailers to ensure you’re getting a fair price for the features and quality you require.
What Is A Plug and Play Docking Station?
A plug and play docking station refers to a docking station that can be easily connected to a laptop or computer without requiring any additional drivers or software installations. It allows for seamless connectivity and functionality as soon as the docking station is plugged into the laptop’s USB or Thunderbolt port.
The advantage of a plug and play docking station is that it eliminates the need for manual driver installations or complex setup processes. This makes it convenient and user-friendly, especially for individuals who frequently switch between different laptops or workstations.
Plug and play docking stations typically provide a variety of ports and connectivity options, such as USB ports, video outputs (HDMI, DisplayPort), Ethernet ports, audio jacks, and SD card slots. They allow you to connect external monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, and other peripherals to your laptop with ease.
The price range for plug and play docking stations can vary depending on the brand, features, and the number and types of ports available. Generally, you can find reliable plug and play docking stations starting around $50 to $100, but more advanced models with additional ports or advanced features may cost more.
When purchasing a plug and play docking station, it’s important to ensure compatibility with your laptop’s ports and operating system. It’s also a good idea to read reviews and compare different options to find the best docking station that meets your specific needs and budget.
How Many Devices Can I Connect To a Laptop Docking Station?
The number of devices you can connect to a laptop docking station depends on the specific model and its available ports and connectivity options. Different docking stations offer varying numbers and types of ports, which determine the number of devices you can connect simultaneously.
Typically, laptop docking stations provide a range of ports such as USB ports (USB-A, USB-C), video outputs (HDMI, DisplayPort), Ethernet ports, audio jacks, SD card slots, and more. The number of each port type may vary between models.
Here are some common examples of the number of devices you can connect to a laptop docking station:
- USB Ports: Docking stations usually offer multiple USB ports, allowing you to connect peripherals such as keyboards, mice, printers, external hard drives, USB flash drives, and other USB devices. The number of USB ports can range from 2 to 10 or more, depending on the docking station model.
- Video Outputs: Docking stations with video outputs enable you to connect external monitors or projectors to your laptop. The number of video outputs can vary, but most docking stations provide at least one HDMI or DisplayPort output. Some higher-end models may offer multiple video outputs, allowing you to connect multiple external displays simultaneously.
- Ethernet Port: Many docking stations include an Ethernet port for a wired network connection. This allows you to connect your laptop to a local area network (LAN) for faster and more stable internet access.
- Audio Jacks: Docking stations may have audio jacks for connecting headphones, speakers, or microphones.
- Other Ports: Depending on the model, docking stations may also offer additional ports such as SD card slots, USB-C ports, Thunderbolt ports, eSATA ports, and more.
It’s important to review the specifications and available ports of a specific docking station to determine the number of devices you can connect to it simultaneously. Consider your specific needs and the devices you plan to connect to the docking station to ensure it meets your requirements.
What Is A Thunderbolt Docking Station?
A Thunderbolt docking station is a type of docking station that utilises Thunderbolt technology for connectivity with a laptop or computer. Thunderbolt is an interface technology developed by Intel in collaboration with Apple that allows for high-speed data transfer, video output, and power delivery over a single cable.
A Thunderbolt docking station typically connects to a laptop or computer using a Thunderbolt cable, which combines data and video signals into a single connection. This allows for seamless connectivity and high-performance capabilities, including faster data transfer speeds and the ability to connect multiple peripherals and external displays.
Here are some key features and benefits of Thunderbolt docking stations:
- High-Speed Data Transfer: Thunderbolt technology provides exceptionally fast data transfer speeds, allowing for quick file transfers and data access. Thunderbolt 3, the most common version currently available, supports data transfer speeds of up to 40 Gbps.
- Multiple Connectivity Options: Thunderbolt docking stations often offer a wide range of ports, including USB ports (both USB-A and USB-C), HDMI or DisplayPort video outputs, Ethernet ports, audio jacks, SD card slots, and more. This enables you to connect various devices and peripherals to expand the capabilities of your laptop or computer.
- External Display Support: Thunderbolt docking stations support the connection of multiple external displays, typically up to two or even three monitors, depending on the docking station and the capabilities of your laptop’s graphics card.
- Power Delivery: Thunderbolt docking stations can provide power to charge your laptop or computer while connected, eliminating the need for an additional power adapter. This feature simplifies cable management and reduces clutter.
- Daisy-Chaining: Some Thunderbolt docking stations support daisy-chaining, which means you can connect multiple Thunderbolt devices in a series using a single Thunderbolt cable. This allows for even more connectivity options and expanded functionality.
It’s worth noting that Thunderbolt docking stations are typically more expensive than standard USB docking stations due to their advanced capabilities and higher data transfer speeds. However, they offer enhanced performance and versatility, especially for users who require high-speed data transfer, multiple external displays, and comprehensive connectivity options.
Laptop Docking Station VS. No Docking Station?
Using a laptop docking station or not depends on your specific needs and preferences. Let’s compare the advantages and disadvantages of using a docking station versus not using one:
Advantages of using a laptop docking station:
- Enhanced Connectivity: A docking station provides additional ports and connectivity options that may not be available on your laptop alone. It can offer extra USB ports, video outputs for multiple monitors, Ethernet ports for wired internet connections, audio jacks, and more. This allows you to connect a wide range of peripherals and accessories simultaneously, making it convenient for productivity and multitasking.
- Ease of Use: Docking stations provide a simple and quick way to connect and disconnect your laptop to a desktop-like setup. Instead of plugging and unplugging multiple cables every time you want to switch between workstations, you can simply connect or disconnect your laptop from the docking station with a single cable. This saves time and minimizes cable clutter.
- Charging and Power Delivery: Some docking stations can provide power to charge your laptop while it’s connected. This eliminates the need for separate power adapters and allows you to keep your laptop charged conveniently.
- Multiple External Displays: Docking stations often support the connection of multiple external monitors, allowing you to extend your laptop’s display and increase productivity. This is particularly useful for tasks that require a large workspace or for professionals who need to work with multiple applications simultaneously.
Disadvantages of using a laptop docking station:
- Cost: Docking stations, especially those with advanced features and connectivity options like Thunderbolt, can be relatively expensive compared to basic USB hubs. The cost of a docking station needs to be considered, especially if it exceeds your budget or if you don’t require the extra connectivity.
- Portability: Docking stations are additional hardware that you need to carry or keep at your desk. If you frequently work on the go or switch between different locations, carrying a docking station might be cumbersome. In such cases, a minimalistic setup without a docking station may be more convenient.
- Compatibility: Not all laptops are compatible with every docking station. You need to ensure that the docking station you choose is compatible with your laptop’s specific ports, power requirements, and operating system. Some docking stations are designed for specific laptop models or brands, which may limit your options.
- Limited Expansion: While docking stations offer additional connectivity options, they are still limited by the ports and capabilities of the docking station itself. If you require more specialized or unique ports not offered by the docking station, you may need to explore alternative solutions or adapters.
In summary, using a laptop docking station can provide enhanced connectivity, ease of use, and expanded functionality. It is particularly beneficial for individuals who require multiple peripherals, external displays, and a desktop-like setup. However, it comes with a cost and may not be ideal for those who prioritize portability or have limited compatibility with their laptop. Assess your specific needs and consider the advantages and disadvantages to determine whether a docking station is the right choice for you.